The Muslims in South Africa are a minority group consisting of approximately 2 million in strength out of a total population of more than 40 million. The Muslims come from all race groups with the majority from the Coloured and Asian groups.
AND LET THERE ARISE OUT OF YOU A GROUP OF PEOPLE INVITING TO ALL THAT IS GOOD (ISLAM). (S.3 : V.104)
With this Command from Allah, IEOSA embarked on turning towards the work of Da`wah which is essential and all important, giving rise to the Da`wah \ Elementary Department.
This Department offers Intensive courses for reverts \ daa`ees. The course includes:-
- Study of Comparative religion
- Basic principles of Islam
- Qur’aanic recitation
- Salaah, Fiqh, Islamic History, Tahdhib
- Basic Arabic conversation
- Guidelines on Da`wah
IEOSA offers specially designed Da`wah programs for Adults & Students as follows:-
1. Beginners Class.
2. Advanced Class.
In order to ensure maximum benefit, IEOSA has various programs to fulfil the needs of the students.
- IEOSA ADULT DA`WAH PROGRAM – this caters for adults seeking to learn the basic practices of Islam.
- This course is divided into 4 modules, after which successful students can join the mainstream Teacher Education Programs.
- Some of them go on to qualify as Pre – School and Junior Primary Madrasah Teachers, teaching at classes in various local communities and other Islamic organisations as well.
- IEOSA also conducts supervision and assessments at their various centres as support for these trained teachers.
- Alhamdullilah, teachers from the Islamic Da`wah Movement (IDM), South African Da`wah Network (SADN) & Imdaad (SANZAF) also enroll for the IEOSA Teacher Education Programs.
Greater Edendale Muslim Society (GEMS)
GEMS joined IEOSA in the year 2007 to date. GEMS is an initiative to assist the underprivileged community in The Greater Edendale Township in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa with Secular and Islamic education, the main focus is on quality education for children between the ages of 3 – 6 years, preparing them for mainstream education.
IEOSA trains GEM staff every week in a range of activities, such as health and wellness, Teacher Training, education of children in Early Childhood Development (E.C.D), focusing on the Grade R learners.
IEOSA, together with GEMS, is assisting the South African Government to reach out to underprivileged communities who do not have access to Pre-school education.